Sunday, October 17, 2010

Ginger-Carrot Bread

1 3/4 cups unsifted flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 cup margarine
1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/3 cup dark corn syrup
2 eggs
1 cup carrots, coarsely shredded
3/4 cup nuts, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup raisins

Grease two 5 1/2" x 3" x 2" loaf pans. In small bowl, stir together flour, baking power, and ginger. In large bowl with mixer at medium speed, beat together margarine and sugar until smooth. Beat in corn syrup. Add eggs; beat until well mixed. Add carrots. With spoon, stir in flour mixture, nuts, and raisins. Divide batter evenly between prepared pans. Bake in 350F oven 55 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool in pans 10 minutes. Remove from pans. Cool completely on wire racks.

My family really liked this recipe. I did change a few things in the recipe though. I don't like raisins so I didn't put them in my recipe. I wanted to have more of a carrot taste then a nut taste so I didn't quite use 3/4 cup of nuts. The bread does slice better on the second day then the first. But other then that I liked this recipe. I hope you enjoy it too.

1 comment:

  1. Great comments; I'm not big on raisins and nuts in my bread, either, so it's nice to know modifying this recipe is okay. I also have someone in my family who loves carrot cake, so maybe this will be a good substitution!

    ReplyDelete